90s interiors and a revisit to the Regal

Route: Bangkok - Hong Kong
Airline: Thai Airways
Date of departure: 16th July 2018
Aircraft: A330-300
Flight duration: 2 hours 27 minutes
Flight distance: 1,688 km 

Total distance flown so far this trip: 31,736 km

Once again, a bit put off by reviews of Thai Airway's own lounges at their main base Bangkok, I took advantage of my Star Alliance diamond card and used the Singapore Airlines lounge instead. No regrets here, except that the food they had out was far too good so I sat and tried basically everything. I held off on the white wine until the big hand was on the six and the little hand between the 12 and one. That seemed respectable enough to me. The lounge had no more than 20 people in it at the most, and then suddenly they all disappeared leaving me and a Singaporean who was negotiating a business deal on a mobile with a bad connection. I blame my retreat to the white wine bottle on him.

Lunchtime snacks in Singapore Airlines lounge

We boarded on time and pushed back two minutes minutes ahead of schedule. Check out the interior of this A330-300! If the lights had suddenly started flashing and house music had played it wouldn't have looked out of place at all. This was so 90s!! The curve on the shells of the seats! And yes, these were indeed those nightmare angle-flat things (sidenote: my spellchecker insists on changing angle-flat to anti-gay, which they probably are as well, but they are not just anti-gay, they are pretty much anti-everyone).


Thai has so many different interiors in its fleet that it is a bit difficult to know what you are getting until you are standing in front of it, face to face. Or you can do a bit of research on flightaware or another similar website. Still, this was a short regional flight, and compared to anything you see these days inter-Europe, even these are luxury. This was today's menu

And for once, all choices were available. Yay!! I went for the Chinese menu, which was just fine. I ordered a gin and tonic to start with and refills kept coming. Thai make a pretty good g & t, and a strong one at that. I arrived in Hong Kong happy and fat.


There was a longer queue at immigration than there was last week, so I had to wait about 20 minutes. Once I got to the desk, there was a precursory check of my arrival form and I was sent on my way with permission to stay 90 days. But I will only be here for 13 hours before heading back to Norway tomorrow. So back to the Regal, this time in a standard room. Quite honestly, I can't see that much difference between this room and the one I had on the executive level last week. It may be a bit smaller, and it lacks the bells and whistles that the Executive Lounge offers, but for such a short stay it is perfect (and half the price of what I paid last Sunday).






So as the sun goes down over Hong Kong, Trump and Putin are meeting in Helsinki. It will be interesting to see which of us has the most peaceful night.

Comments

  1. Got a good laugh, thanks! Hope you got to sleep well ...

    Big hug from Anne Lise 😁

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Yes to No-votel

Plane bad behaviour? Nappy changing and other things

Isn't Waldorf a type of salad?