Changing a nappy on SAS

Route: Hong Kong - Stockholm
Airline: SAS
Date of departure: 17th July 2018
Aircraft: Airbus A330-343
Flight duration: 10 hours 43 minutes
Flight distance: 8,220 km

Route: Stockholm - Oslo
Airline: SAS
Date of departure: 7th July 2018
Aircraft: Airbus A320
Flight duration: 40 minutes
Flight distance: 386 km

Total distance flown this trip: 40,342 km

SAS sent me a text message in the middle of the night before I flew home to advise me that the incoming flight to Hong Kong was late and that the departure time of my flight would now be 11 am, a delay of 1 hour and 40 minutes. All passengers were still expected to check-in at the normal time. By the time I read the text message, I had got up and showered and was ready to wander over to the airport anyway. So it meant a bit of a longer wait air-side than expected.

The business class check-in was quite busy by the time I got to the terminal, so I had to wait about 20 minutes before I got to the check-in desk. My check-in procedure took just 1 minute, so I have to wonder what the people in front of me were doing. Security was quick - you don't have to take anything out of your hand luggage at Hong Kong Airport security check - and passport control was an automated affair which took seconds. After that it was off to the nearest lounge for coffee, more coffee and something breakfasty. The choice was between Thai Airways, Singapore Airlines and United Airlines. I plumped for Singapore, as they are often rated the best Star Alliance Lounge in Hong Kong. The lounge looks deserted in the pictures below, but people came and went the whole time I was there. I just waited to take pictures until there was no-one in the way of my camera lens.


Food in the lounge was mostly oriental, but I am not complaining! There were USB-chargers by almost every seat in the lounge, and it was mostly quiet except ..... well, my plan is to write a post on lounge behaviour/etiquette, so I'll save my observations for later. I am going to agree with most posts on flyertalk.com regarding Star Alliance lounges in Hong Kong - Singapore is definitely my favourite.

A picture of the terminal as I headed to the departure gate

SAS awaits

This time I managed to snap a couple of pictures of the business class seat/cabin on the aircraft. Not because I boarded before everyone else, but mostly because boarding was an absolute chaos. Boarding was not even announced. At some point people just started standing in a queue and then the gate opened. No priority boarding, no boarding call, no nothing. So even even though I was way at the back of the boarding queue, I still arrived in the cabin before a lot of others did. I was in seat 6A.



Welcome drink

On the way to the runway, passing a Cathay Pacific 777

And after being sixth in line for take-off, we were eventually airborne over 2 hours delayed

Today's menu for "The Main Event" and "Before Landing", plus a mid flight snack. More than enough food for a 10-hour flight


Service started with hot towels, a canape and a cocktail. I studk to the Ginger Forest as I had on the way out. Made with Swedish whisky ...

"The Main Event" followed shortly afterwards. Bread was served with the starter


Followed by beef for the main course

The obligatory cheese and port, and dessert which was a black-cherry crumble. I have to say that "The Main Event" was very good, and some of the best airline food I had on this trip.

At some point after the main meal, the nappy-changing occurred. Just in case you were wondering, it had nothing directly to do with me, and so as to not make the rest of the food pictures seem totally repulsive, I will save this tale of woe for another blog post to come shortly.

About two hours before landing, another light meal was served. This consisted of seared tuna, followed by (in my case - there was a choice) chicken, noodles and vegetables.



I enjoyed all of my flights with SAS. I found the service relaxed and friendly, and the food is absolutely comparable with, if not better than, many other airlines I have flown in business class. Flight delays happen, but as it was, my connecting flight was actually only 32 minutes delayed into Oslo. Originally I should have had 2 hours and 10 minutes between flights in Stockholm Arlanda. That turned into a 10-minute jog to get to my connection. But the connecting flight was also delayed from Stockholm, so I could have saved myself the jog. But then again, it probably did me the world of good after having been glued to a seat and fed constantly for over 10 hours.

Comments

  1. I think you needed the jogging tour, after all this great food and the drink on the flight.
    A pleasure to follow you on your journey!
    Big hug from Anne Lise 😊

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Yes to No-votel

Plane bad behaviour? Nappy changing and other things

Isn't Waldorf a type of salad?