To Bangkok to Change Planes



Route: Hong Kong to Bangkok
Airline: Thai Airways
Date of departure: 9th July 2018
Aircraft: Boeing 777-300ER
Flight duration: 2 hours 20 minutes
Flight distance: 1,688 km

KM so far this trip: 10, 294

Checking my luggage in at Hong Kong airport took about two minutes. Getting through passport control took only seconds. British passport holders can use automated gates where they scan their passport, stand still for 5 seconds while a facial picture is taken and voila - that's it, you're good to go.

Thai's check-in desks are located in terminal 2, but no flights actually leave from terminal 2. So having passed through passport control, you have to take a train to the departure area. It takes about three minutes.

I found the Thai Airways lounge on the seventh floor after wandering around the terminal for a bit. Not because I wanted to wander, but because I actually couldn't locate the lounge that easily. Once I did find it, I found it almost empty.


I have no idea what Thai was thinking about when they chose the colour scheme for their chairs. There were chairs in at least five different colours, but on the plus side they were comfortable. There was a good selection of food and drinks, and wi-fi was fast. It was a good place to people-watch and to look at aircraft taxiing to the runway.


The flight was a bit delayed due to a late incoming aircraft. Boarding was quick though, and the captain apologetic about the delay. The 777-300ER has fully flat seats in Royal Silk Class (business class), and all seats have aisle access.



The footwell on this aircraft seemed wider than the one I would encounter on my next flight to Auckland, bur I didn't put the seat flat on this short flight, so that may not have been the case. A welcome drink arrived in a champagne flute, and I was addressed by name.

There was a choice of meal between Western, Thai or Chinese. I went for Chinese which was good in both quality and quantity. The main course was bbq pork.

Thai has chosen French wines, and the sauvignon blanc was good, dry and fresh. I found the service impeccable and genuine, and cabin staff were visible throughout the whole flight. This gave me renewed hope that the next flight would be a good one too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yes to No-votel

Plane bad behaviour? Nappy changing and other things

Isn't Waldorf a type of salad?